Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ashley's Top Trends and Colors

Posted by: Ashley

I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first? The bad news, got it. Well, the bad news is that I don't have an outfit post for today. I know, right? I fail. I woke up, lounged around, went to the gym and am now going to work. Please forgive me! Now for the good news. The good news is tomorrow I WILL have an outfit post (I have no excuse because I'm off of work), I will also have an outfit post Friday, Saturday AND Sunday.

So keeping in the style of yesterday, I'm going to talk a little about some of my favorite trends and about the color of the year. All pictures will be from least to most expensive.

Trend #1: Stripes. Stripes are EVERYWHERE. They litter the front page of J. Crew, they are all over Forever 21 as well as Anthropologie, and don't even get me started about Ralph Lauren's website. I love the stripe trend when done right. Head to toe stripes, not so much... a well placed striped shirt? Sure! Striped flats? Sure! Striped swimsuit? Sure! Here are some of my favorite stripes:









Trend #2: Denim. Yes, most people wear jeans often. But all kinds of denim is in right now. Shirts, jackets, dresses, I've even seen denim shoes. Most of these are in the form of chambray, which is a finer weave of denim. It's not as durable, but it's very comfortable. I've already showed you a chambray skirt above, as well as a dress in yesterday's post









Trend #3: Color blocks. I love unexpected colors together. Here are a few of my favorites (Except note that it is different on each computer screen and that my skills at finding the exact right color are not exceptional):

Tomato and blush. This is my absolute favorite.



Mustard and Olive



Honeysuckle and Blush Pink


Mustard and Plum


Tomato and Orange


Plum and Olive


Honeysuckle and Orange


While these are definitely not the only trends right now, they are three big ones. Other honorable mentions go to:


Switching gears, let's talk about the "it" color.  I used this color in the images above. It's the Pantone color of the year. Honeysuckle. Here is Honeysuckle as seen on a few celebrities:


While pretty, the only one I can imagine wearing is Julianne Moore's outfit. Let's look at other working pieces in Honeysuckle:







Well, there you have it. Trends and colors I love. I'll be trying these out as the weeks go by, I just have to get creative with my closet seeing as how I can't buy anything else. Also coming up is Kendi's 30 for 30, so I'll have to try to incorporate these trends into that challenge. Now I'm off to go stare at my closet wishing I could wear real clothes instead of my work uniform... 

Stay tuned for an outfit post tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment